First of all, I find that I like to focus more on the new mother than the baby! When I was home with a newborn, struggling and feeling overwhelmed, I know I would have appreciated a care package from a friend with goodies inside for just me. Doesn't everyone love receiving something thoughtful? First-time mamas usually get a baby shower and (surprise surprise) they get a lot of things for the baby, but the parents are often overlooked during this time of celebration. Really, mom and dad are the ones who need the spoiling. All babies really need is a warm body to sleep on, clean diaper, and a full tummy. When second, third, or fourth baby comes along, usually the parents already have everything they need anyway. I've had a lot of friends give birth in the last couple of months, and these are my favorite things to give.
1. Comfortable lounge clothes for resting, sleeping, and nursing in. I've found some great cozy jammies from Target, and also lovely zip-up lounge hoodies and pants from a local lingerie shop.
2. Slippers (these are by Polar Moc). Again, going with the lounge theme here. You've gotta keep those feet warm while pacing around the house at night!
3. FOOD. I've been hitting up Trader Joes and filling a bag full of healthy and filling snacks for new mama. Trail mix, apple slices, dried fruit, cheese, crackers, etc.
4. Nipple Butter. Enough said.
5. A glass water bottle. Drinking a lot of fluid is really important for nursing mamas and women recovering from birth.
6. Hand cream. When Ben was a newborn I was always washing my hands before feedings, after diaper changes, after anyone came over, etc. Having a good hand cream just makes you feel better.
7. Mother's Milk Lactation Tea, or any other organic herbal tea for mom.
1. ZIP up sleepers. In the middle of the night, no one wants to be fiddling around with buttons, am I right? Ben basically lived in his sleepers through the first four months of his life. These are a fairly inexpensive (and helpful) gift to give.
2. Boppy covers for everyone! Personally, I used the breastfriend (yes, it's really called that) when Benji was a newborn, and then transition to a boppy. Even if you aren't nursing, the boppy is really helpful for propping baby up (in a safe place). I also used the boppy to snuggle around Ben in a "U" shape in his crib to help him feel more secure and cozy. My favorite place to drool over cute boppy covers is IvieBaby on Etsy.
3. Miracle Blanket. It's the only swaddle we could keep our wild little guy confined in. If I see that someone has a swaddle blanket on their registry, I usually pick this one up instead. :)
4. Diapers. Lots of 'em. I love the fun prints from the Honest Company. Even if a family is choosing to use cloth diapers, it's always nice to have disposables on hand for the first few weeks.
5. Of course, doTERRA lavender essential oil, for starters. Lavender is my go-to oil for everything. We still use it on Ben's feet before bedtime. When he was a newborn I also had a blend for gas/digestion that I rolled on his tummy. Lavender is also nice for mom, as it can help with anxiety and wellness. If you have questions about oils, please let me know!
I had fun putting these lists together, and I hope you found them helpful too! What else would you add? What is your "go-to" gift for mama and baby?